World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent the day at sea roaming around finding "new" wrecks and having a bit of fishing aswell.
Excellent bit of kit i have onboard made finding the additional wrecks easy (i found all 12 new wrecks i was looking for!.)

Caught several Bass (upto 8lb,) as well as a few Codling (upto 7lb) and several Pollock, as well as the usual Mackeral, Pesky Pout etc. I also caught several "Scads". Has anybody ever eaten them? I have never tried them in all my years of catching them from time to time. I hear they are nice but very bony.

A good trip all round, with a decent bit of sport mixed with a decent bit of research for future trips. Rob.

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
Hi Rob, well done on the wreck-spotting. What was this "excellent bit of kit" you were using or is it a secret ;) ?

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing secretive, its just a Lowrance LCX-112c sonar/plotter, with correct software . It was spot on everytime, had no need to search once i got to the approx area like i used to with my other plotters.

Even my mum could go wrecking with it!

Rob.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Nothing secretive, its just a Lowrance LCX-112c sonar/plotter, with correct software . It was spot on everytime, had no need to search once i got to the approx area like i used to with my other plotters.

Even my mum could go wrecking with it!

Rob.

Rob , what is the "correct software", I have a Lowrance Globalmap 3500c , and am using Nauticpath, I think that I am beginning to agree that its not really up to the job , and may purchase Navionics Gold

Cheers Ian

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Ian, Nauticpath is what i have,and Sat it was spot on, but apparently charts all seem to vary slightly in accuracy, depending on, exactly what chart you have and what unit its in.

If you are having trouble locating your marks/wrecks and are in the general vacinity check your transducer is correctly angled, esp if its transom mounted, also try zooming out the sonar.

Electronics are not my strong point thats why i got one thats idiot proof!!!!! Rob.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Silly question, but you didn't have your old plotter set to the wrong datum for the wreck positions you had did you?

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, not as far as i know. I used to find the wrecks with it but had to work hard.

This new set up just seems deadly accurate and i aint complaining!!!!!Rob

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
i think half the battle is how much you can zoom in on the wreck data on the chart, my 182 garmin will go right down to about 20ft per cm of screen, were some others are not quiet so good even on the plotter mode on things like navman ect.

but yes my garmin charts are lot more accurate than some other soft ware for the wreck info.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a lowrance 5150 c and cannot fault it , it has the nautic path chart in it , if it says you are over a wreck then you are ! or you are so so close it is found easily,
Andy:bounce:

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
i use a navionics card and almost all the wrecks i have been to have been nearly exact as marked on the chart

the navionics i have was 160 and it covers all of the uk and ireland and i use it in a globalmap 3500

ETEC

·
Registered
842 Posts
Well that makes it 2- 1 to Nauticpath, me thinks I shall save 100 quid and perservere with Nauticpath for the time being!!!

Cheers Ian

G

·
i think half the battle is how much you can zoom in on the wreck data on the chart, my 182 garmin will go right down to about 20ft per cm of screen, were some others are not quiet so good even on the plotter mode on things like navman ect.

but yes my garmin charts are lot more accurate than some other soft ware for the wreck info.
Went looking for wrecks on Sunday, Navionics Gold in my Raymarine C80. spot on, as Hogster says, the trick is zooming in, when you zoom you can see just how far off you actualy are. I used to have a Garmin 182c/Blue chart, absolutly spot on as well . . . still have a soft spot for the 182, but yesterday did give confidence in the Raymarine kit. The DSM sounder is tops as well.

ETs OPO

15,082 Posts
Went looking for wrecks on Sunday, Navionics Gold in my Raymarine C80. spot on, as Hogster says, the trick is zooming in, when you zoom you can see just how far off you actualy are. I used to have a Garmin 182c/Blue chart, absolutly spot on as well . . . still have a soft spot for the 182, but yesterday did give confidence in the Raymarine kit. The DSM sounder is tops as well.

ETs OPO
Thank God that at last you are happy with it.:laugh:

G

·
Thank God that at last you are happy with it.:laugh:
Yep, all we need now is to get the SL70c instaled. Wont take long once I get a 'roof stand' made, got some mahogany or iroko, both will look good Danish oiled. Mahogany looks especialy nice, with its rich reds, golds and browns.

ET's OPO

1 - 14 of 14 Posts