World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

when wrecking, what size rod do you use? a 7ft or an uptide type thing??

im thinking of getting the suveran pro uptide/downtide.

anything better for the money??

Jamie

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I have an Abu Suveran pro uptide 4-8oz, with the twist lock but section, and it is a good rod for lightish wrecking. Aswell as an uptider i have used mine as a pollack gilling rod and a downtider for general fishing. A nice versatile allrounder really. Your other option would be to go for a longer 8'6'' downtider such as a Greys Longboat or a Shimano Speedmaster. I recently bought the Speedmaster 2030 and it is a very nice rod for fishing with pirks up to 300g.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Forgot to mention the Greys Longboat and the Shimano Speedmaster can be used as an uptider due to there length. Both are 8'6'' and people use them for both up and down tiding.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well the rod is 9ft or 7ft. it depends on the way you want it. it is a combo rod.

Jamie

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Personally I prefer a longer rod especially if pirking. I have in the past used old cut down beach rods and found these to be excellent with a flexible tip yet plenty of low down grunt. I would suggest 8 1/2 to 9 ft. The longer rods also allow you to control your tackle much better, have a larger movement to your lures (more fish??) and allow you to keep your gear away from under the boat. Especially important on a fast drift if your line is running under the boat.

The only downside is the leverage of a long rod. Its not such an issue now tho! When is the last ime you had 3 x 20lbers on at once???
It used to be fairly common 20years ago off Whitby and the like.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so why do you need a short rod for downtiding??

Jamie

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
You are not casting just dropping over the edge of the boat and generally fishing on the drift (no anchor) where with uptiding you are fishing at anchor hence the need to cast away from the boat due the vibration.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, so you can use a uptider for downtide work??

Jamie

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Yes, some anglers actually prefer it as a longer rod has a softer more cushioning action when used with braid. They also help keep your lines away from other anglers on charter boats aswell too.

·
Banned
3,442 Posts
Hi Jamie,
you wont go wrong with the suveran pro, they are great rods and will cover a large range of fishing.
The price of them has also dropped over the last year or so, so for the price not a lot around thats better.
JonC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts