World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody fish the wrecks/marks off France?

I was told by a guy who dives them regularly that the wrecks off the French Coast generally seem to hold more fish than off the UK. It appears that "Wrecking" is not as popular there and they seldom venture more than a few miles out whilst Angling.

As my boat is based in Rye, and only a short pop across the channel it is well within my range to fish these waters,has anybody else fished them? I have already fished 10 miles off the French coast and done ok but have never tried any inshore wrecks/marks there. Just curious as to how you got on. Cheers Rob.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
You may well find yourself in trouble if you're fishing inside French waters!!

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why? the cheeky gits fish our waters enough and i wont be trawling it to death!

Anyway its quite legal to fish there. (apparently).!

·
Registered
24,893 Posts
Why? the cheeky gits fish our waters enough and i wont be trawling it to death!

Anyway its quite legal to fish there. (apparently).!
All there trawlers are probably working our waters so you should get a few over there side!!!! Make sure you bring back a few boxes of prime fish mate!!

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its all above board fellas anybody can fish there, although if you want to be 100% official about it you have to be flying the Red Ensign and have your vessel Name/Port of Reg (if applicable) clearly marked on the Stern. Rob.

G

·
When I used to fish from Rye I often fished the wrecks on their side of the channel. They were quite often better than our own ones.
We had one interesting trip where we got to the wreck to find 3 french guys on one of those eau boats using spinners in 200 ft of water! I am not sure what they were trying to catch but after seeing us pull up a dozen cod in a few minutes on our shads while they blanked they quickly disappeared:bye1:
Another time we were fishing about 3 miles off Boulogne when a french navy patrol vessel saw us. He sat about 1/4 mile away for several hours until we left. Probably counting all the fish we had:whistling

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have dived off the french coast for the last 15 years on a very regular basis often going from eastbourne or brighton to dive on the french side on a day trip (before diesel went crazy !!) and can confirm that all the wrecks hold substantially more than our side this is because the french charter boats such as they are are only aloud to go 6 miles from thier home port and when they do they basically have not got a clue and tend to use home made jigs and plastic wire worms.
some of the home made contraptions we bring up when we dive make me smile and you only have to look in a french tackle shop to see that they are about 30 years behind in terms of fishing tackle.
When we dive we usually have a few drifts before going home and 9 times out of 10 we get bass.I have seen shoals of bass on wrecks within 6 miles of dieppe that would blow most uk anglers minds .
If you get a chance to get your boat over there for a fishing holiday do so you won't regret it

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
I have dived off the french coast for the last 15 years on a very regular basis often going from eastbourne or brighton to dive on the french side on a day trip (before diesel went crazy !!) and can confirm that all the wrecks hold substantially more than our side this is because the french charter boats such as they are are only aloud to go 6 miles from thier home port and when they do they basically have not got a clue and tend to use home made jigs and plastic wire worms.
some of the home made contraptions we bring up when we dive make me smile and you only have to look in a french tackle shop to see that they are about 30 years behind in terms of fishing tackle.
When we dive we usually have a few drifts before going home and 9 times out of 10 we get bass.I have seen shoals of bass on wrecks within 6 miles of dieppe that would blow most uk anglers minds .
If you get a chance to get your boat over there for a fishing holiday do so you won't regret it
I'll keep an eye out for the English armada invading France......:whistling

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yes i fish the french wrecks (because I live over here) there are no restrictions as long as your boat is english, as the french have some very strange rules......

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replys fellas, maybe we should organise a forum invasion of French waters for the day and all have a go! Rob.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Yes i fish the french wrecks (because I live over here) there are no restrictions as long as your boat is english, as the french have some very strange rules......
So what are the restrictions placed upon the French registered vessels ??

Just interested to see a comparison.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So what are the restrictions placed upon the French registered vessels ??

Just interested to see a comparison.
Apparently the restrictions for the French are distance related i.e they can only charter upto 6 miles from their home port (according to Brighton Diver).

I dont suppose there are any restrictions on line caught fish, same as here. Rob.

G

·
The problem up in our neck of the woods is that to get to the French side you have to be a minimum 35 miles offshore. At that distance, the wrecks are chocker anyway.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts