World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought a tacho for my Kubota 3cyl diesel. my electrician opened the box, and said, no good, its for petrol, 2-4-6-8 cyl. can it not be adapted, or do I have to change it.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I suspect if you are good at electronics it may be possible to adapt it but I would put it back and get the correct one.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
found out that if your alternator has a "w" (wave) connection, it goes on there, if not you have to connect to the tri-diode inputs in the alternator, then calibrate it.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, W is a phase output that lots of diesels will use.
problem is, my denso does not have a W on it. what should be done to overcome it, any ideas on that. or is it as I suggested in previous post. just looking for alternatives.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I just phoned betamarine up they told me whot I needed payed and it worked they had it to me the following day

·
Registered
902 Posts
It's an easy fix. I had to do it on my alternator as it didn't have a W terminal. First google a pic of a car alternator stator, this gives you a heads up on what your looking for. Then take the end cap off and you'll see a circuit board with three large bolts, these are the stators. Undo one of these bolts, withdraw it and then put a ring terminal connector under it and bolt it back. Just make sure that the connector is touching the circuit underneath. All that's needed us too connector a wire from the newly added connector back to the tacho. There's a load of info if you google stator wiring.
Paul

·
Registered
994 Posts
It's an easy fix. I had to do it on my alternator as it didn't have a W terminal. First google a pic of a car alternator stator, this gives you a heads up on what your looking for. Then take the end cap off and you'll see a circuit board with three large bolts, these are the stators. Undo one of these bolts, withdraw it and then put a ring terminal connector under it and bolt it back. Just make sure that the connector is touching the circuit underneath. All that's needed us too connector a wire from the newly added connector back to the tacho. There's a load of info if you google stator wiring. Paul
A lot will be soldered too especially if they are car derived which a lot are.

·
Registered
539 Posts
You may get a signal like that and get the tacho to read something, highly unlikely it will be the actual engine speed though.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Well I did this and set the tacho to 4 cylinders and got a constant reading. I did need to fine adjust the reading so that at tuck over the reading was 600 revs. It might be out but not by much and good enough for my diesel inboard

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tacho was correct after all, durite sent me the relevant info. it was just then a case of wiring in the tacho to the last point on the multi-plug. the thing that threw me, was the info I was reading about connecting to a "w" connection or a "p" connection on the alternator, and mine had none of those. all done now though.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts