World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Malta for a family holiday (wifes Maltese) and thought I would do some homework before, so I checked out a Maltese fishing forum where I met a chap who is also a WSF member (Placebo), he offered to take me and Sammy out for a mornings fishing, which we gratefully accepted. We did some rock fishing for a few hours each morning before it got too hot. At the weekend we made the journey to the south at 4.30am to fish with Placebo (very nice chap). We had a great time catching Wrasse, Bream, Comber and Rosetta. All the fishing from the shore was good fun on light tackle, either float fishing or 2 hook paternoster, size 14 hooks and small bits of rag. The fish from the boat were bigger but nothing above 1lb. We trolled for Barracuda but without sucess. All in all it was great, we blanked only once, that was the first day but once we got some rag we were in business, we ended up with 14 species between us.

I would appreciate some fish ID's please, I have some of them but am not sure of the rest. There are 2 posts because of the number of photos.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
you had a good holiday then dermot, some nice and interesting looking fish there , well done .

if you fancy a session this weekend , give me a shout , im gonna try a new mark on loch fyne ( if i ever get he jeep fixed)

al

·
Hardcore Poster
1,575 Posts
Smashing report $pinner and some lovely fish - well done - I have had a few of them in the Canaries - but only remember the Ornate Wrasse by name

·
Registered
60 Posts
theres a lot of wrasse and bream, couple of parrot fish family memebers, and a lovely horse mackie... recognize them from when i used to live in that part of the world...good holiday!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Excellent Dermot, great pictures and report too.

Some really interesting fish there and I bet you had a great time catching them too.

Don't think you can just add them to your species list though as everyone will be going nuts trying to beat that lot, lol

Well done mate

As soon as I am on the mend we need to get together for a fishing session.
I will keep you posted

Dougy

·
Registered
28 Posts
superb! some nice wee fish there, im off to malta in october 4 a family wedding hope to get a little bit action like that for myself !

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
Quick, get them added to your caught list:1a:

·
Specimen Hunter
3,276 Posts
nice fish there bud, cant give you solid ids other than a load of wrasse , bream and dunno wot else lol

·
Captain Chaos!
3,694 Posts
Went to Malta for a family holiday (wifes Maltese) and thought I would do some homework before, so I checked out a Maltese fishing forum where I met a chap who is also a WSF member (Placebo), he offered to take me and Sammy out for a mornings fishing, which we gratefully accepted. We did some rock fishing for a few hours each morning before it got too hot. At the weekend we made the journey to the south at 4.30am to fish with Placebo (very nice chap). We had a great time catching Wrasse, Bream, Comber and Rosetta. All the fishing from the shore was good fun on light tackle, either float fishing or 2 hook paternoster, size 14 hooks and small bits of rag. The fish from the boat were bigger but nothing above 1lb. We trolled for Barracuda but without sucess. All in all it was great, we blanked only once, that was the first day but once we got some rag we were in business, we ended up with 14 species between us.

I would appreciate some fish ID's please, I have some of them but am not sure of the rest. There are 2 posts because of the number of photos.

Hi Dermot, cracking time then?? :), the two fish in these pics are what Mick and I were catching in Tunisia, the locals called them Silver Snapper, I think its just a "generic" name tho...:)

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
interesting fishing dermot with a wee siesta at high noon :1a: class

·
Deputy Jokes Forum Examiner
2,909 Posts
Great report and a fine example of how fishing has no boundries its a universal language

BTW they look like they should be in an aquarium

Paul

·
The Lead Legend
4,710 Posts
looks a great holiday dermot well done mate and im off to tenerife in about 4 weeks so im hoping to catch a few strange things

·
Registered
818 Posts
Hi Dermot, theres some cracking looking fish there.

Mind I had the convo with you at the Sharkatag about Malta, as I was flying out the Monday after the sharkatag. We were staying in Quara/Bugibba. After I got home on the Sunday I was nackered and couldn't be bothered looking out the small gear for fishing off the rocks over there.

As it turns out there wasn many small fish around........every few days I would throw some bread out and there wasnt that many fish about or some reason. Usually you get masses upon masses on mullet, bream etc all attacking it lol.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the info lads.
Dougy, just let me know when youre fit.
Malky, up early every day to fish, a couple of cool beers at lunchtime, a siesta in the afternoon, an hours spinning in the evening, pure torture it was.
Daz, only seen a few Mullet myself but couldn't fish for them (swimmers), you should have tried snorkeling, we did before fishing to get an idea where the good spots were, felt like Jaques Cousteau, even saw an Octopuss.
Norrie, I found out last night, they are species of Bream.

·
Captain Chaos!
3,694 Posts
Norrie, I found out last night, they are species of Bream.
Great stuff Dermot....any idea what ones?? I actually did wonder why the skipper kept them...must be nice eating..:)

BTW, Just left Mr Holt fishing like crazy, not a million miles from you..:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts