World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Read Only
14,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had a quick pre work go with the plugs over cornwall this a.m. started off hooking small pollack on the xrap, felt bad seeing them impailed on the trebles was about to change to something else when hooked into a schoolie, maybe a pound or so, had about 40 mins of bass hitting the lure, every 3 or 4 casts on average, kept 2 for the table tonight, the 1st two that were a nice size and put the rest back. reckon the biggest was about 4lb, then they were gone.
tried a feed shallow for a while and didn have a take over the most shallow ground between the boulders etc .but maybe the fish had gone by then.
was using my snowbee deep blue 9ft and starting to rate it a lot more now.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Top plug the Xrap - I'd put above a feed shallow any day!
well regarded plug the xrap at a good price by seems strange you put it in the same bracket asthe feed shallow mate when that only goes about 30cm down but the xrap can be cranked down to 6ft or am i missing some thing ?!

well done by the way matthew:clap3:

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,449 Posts
Top plug the Xrap - I'd put above a feed shallow any day!
i would to , BY MILES , more than one way to work an x rap boys ,

who said they got to go 6 ft , 4 ft or even a foot , think you lads are reeling way way to fast , with rod tip down , try slow with rod tip up ,

to right your missing something BB ,

can get my xrap to do all the feed shallow can and some ,

yet to get much out the feed shallow , than shallow , funny that ,

even use my x rap as a topper sometimes when i need to .

Missing loads i would say :fish:

·
Registered
369 Posts
i would to , BY MILES , more than one way to work an x rap boys ,

who said they got to go 6 ft , 4 ft or even a foot , think you lads are reeling way way to fast , with rod tip down , try slow with rod tip up ,

to right your missing something BB ,

can get my xrap to do all the feed shallow can and some ,

yet to get much out the feed shallow , than shallow , funny that ,

even use my x rap as a topper sometimes when i need to .

Missing loads i would say :fish:
i think your missing the point i was making mark . on the face of it it was a bit miss leading when the first bloke virtually compared a feed shallow and rapala x-rap dont make sense to me . almost chalk and cheese and are not simular plugs really at all . i would try to put pics up to show people who dont know what eacj looks like but my computer is like my mrs we dont get on !! you cant pop the xrap for instance and you cant crank a feed shallow down to 6foot . thats just 2 differences and like you say with different retreive styles and rod angles there is more than 1 way to skin a cat with most plugs.

just thought id point that out in case anyone went to buy a x-rap thinking it fishes like the feed shallow .

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Caught all my bass this year on Xrap 10's. The only improvement I would make to them is improve the casting mechanism within the plug. They tend to tumble mid air quite alot. Their finish lasts forever though.

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,449 Posts
i think your missing the point i was making mark . on the face of it it was a bit miss leading when the first bloke virtually compared a feed shallow and rapala x-rap dont make sense to me . almost chalk and cheese and are not simular plugs really at all . i would try to put pics up to show people who dont know what eacj looks like but my computer is like my mrs we dont get on !! you cant pop the xrap for instance and you cant crank a feed shallow down to 6foot . thats just 2 differences and like you say with different retreive styles and rod angles there is more than 1 way to skin a cat with most plugs.

just thought id point that out in case anyone went to buy a x-rap thinking it fishes like the feed shallow .
fair point , they are chalk and cheese , but i use xraps in the worst ground , rocks weed , you could imagine , i just use it differently

Its the ONLY lure , i could not do with out , and i dont say that lightly

as the last chap said , last forever (as good as ) the size 12 casts as far as a lot of plugs , but catches less than the 10 , in general ,

Try wrapping you braid ,or leader twice around the front treble , when fish are taking off the top , its deadly ,or even once back , twice front , (keeps it straight ) and twitch ,
loads and loads of ways to fish EVERY plug out there .
I still rate feed shallow highly , but not a patch on x rap
o and look , its half the price :cc_surren:clap::clap:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Try wrapping you braid ,or leader twice around the front treble , when fish are taking off the top , its deadly ,or even once back , twice front , (keeps it straight ) and twitch ,
loads and loads of ways to fish EVERY plug out there .
jesus ! I havent done that for years in fact i had forgoten that little trick you just brought some good memories back for me cheers :clap:

·
Read Only
14,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Top angling Matthew, well done!

Both lures I'd feel undergunned without taking for each session. Different lures for different circumstances though.

Just out of interest, why did you change lures from one that had worked?
it was bass bass bass all about the same size so fancied trying for something bigger, was all a bit repetitive, and thats never happened before beleive me, never really used the feed shallow 108, holo white so hoped to take a few fish on it try it out get a feel for how to work it effectively.
dont reckon the xrap 10 fishes that much deeper than the feed shallow, most of the ground was about 15 feet deep or so.

·
Read Only
14,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...went back there this am for a repeat performance, didnt have a sniff off a bass, did see one bigass seal tho swimming around, just goes to show right place right time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts