World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a four year old yam 100 i got it in feb 2012 with 37 hours there is now 77 hours on the clock i am putting the boat in storage over the winter in a shed.
Checked the oil level is fine and oil very clean,
fuel filter has no dirt or water,
i have greased and cleaned all moving parts and flushed thru with fresh water, sprayed complete engine with ACF 50 for protection.
The engine runs 100% and no signs of any problems in the season past, so what do i need to do for winterising over the winter. I wont be bringing out again until march i then plan to change oil and filter.......Do yous think the impeller or gearbox oil is necessary at this stage considering the engine is as good as new???? I dont mind doing it if its necessary, btw i will be changing the exterior fuel filter for new.

My boat ia a YAMARIN 59 CABIN which i have enjoyed very much for fishing, I will be keeping it in the local harbour for 4/5 months. last year it accumulated alot of marine growth which notably slowed the boat down as the seasoned progressed so like the other coppercoat threads going i,m tempted to go this route,,,,,,,,NOW THE HARD BIT my hull is shiny clean polished and waxed for the hibernation over the winter,,,,,,,,,my issue is painting over a nice unmarked hull which is bad enough even worse would it be necessary to take sand paper to this yamarin work of art hull to key it , it just seems wrong to spend all year not marking the hull then attacking it........would it be ok to leave out the keying process would it adhere ok otherwise????????????
Regards in advance gents.

·
Registered
11,784 Posts
Re the winterisation questions - if the engine has not had an impeller change in four years, then I would definitely get it done - but every three years should be OK. I would also change gearbox oil every year and do it at this end of the season - should you find any water in it (the oil will look emusified), it gives you plenty of time to get the seals replaced, especially if you want to have someone do it for you - at this time of year you can get an engineer in under a week - leave it to March and you could join a month long waiting list!

I'd also check with a Yamaha dealer if they recommend fogging oil or not for winterisation on your engine - they might suggest running it with a fuel additive instead.

Re the antifoul - afraid it's yes to the abrading and applying primer - if you don't do it, especially if the hull has been waxed it will be coming off in large chunks and after next season you will be faced with the task of feathering off all the edges of the patches - no easy task. And yes this is the voice of experience of having cut corners! - never again.

If it's going to be painted over, why worry about losing the shine that's there now?

As you have a bare GRP hull, then I would seriously consider the Copper Coat option - it can't go on top of existing antifoul so this is the ideal time to do it unless you want to face the problems of removing antifoul in the future. Copper Coat has a very comprehensive website including application instructions: http://coppercoat.com/

1 - 2 of 2 Posts