World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, newbie to boat fishing. Recently bought a pilot with a couple of engines one of which is a yamaha 40 autolube my only experience of autolube was on my 2 stroke scrambler which everyone told me to disconnect the autolube and Premix my fuel. Is this common practice with autolube outboards as in use straight unleaded in the fuel tank and fill the oil reservoir with yamahah 2 strike oil on the engine. Sorry this is really basic but like I said I'm new to this. Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like pretty good advice. I've mixed at 100:1 and left the autolube alone. Prob I have now is it won't start. The system has two batteries one for the engine an one for ancillaries running through a switch. I've only got one battery on at the moment for the engine, I went to the control put it in neutral attached deadmans toggle, lifted the switch and turned over but it just turns over and won't fire?? I checked the spark plugs and they are wet with fuel so fuelmix getting through. Am I missing something ? Does it need both batteries charged and attached even though only one is responsible for the engine??
Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
Probably be too much oil it will be fouling the plugs if the autolube is working just use it you wont need to add oil to the fuel as well.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Probably be too much oil it will be fouling the plugs if the autolube is working just use it you wont need to add oil to the fuel as well.
I doubt if additional oil at 100-1 will stop it starting, more likely flooded or loss of spark. Dry thr plugs and check for spark. Geoff.

·
Banned
8,292 Posts
I have got the same engine, but pull start.

Have you had it running before?
Are you using the choke?

I ran mine last week, first time in 4 mths, took a bit of going, cleaned and dried plugs and sprayed all with wd40, but ran.
I have a problem in that it wont rev up.

I do not need to see why you are adding oil to petrol if the auto-lube is working, no need too.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I have got the same engine, but pull start.

Have you had it running before?
Are you using the choke?

I ran mine last week, first time in 4 mths, took a bit of going, cleaned and dried plugs and sprayed all with wd40, but ran.
I have a problem in that it wont rev up.

I do not need to see why you are adding oil to petrol if the auto-lube is working, no need too.
Sounds like your pilot jets are gummed up....

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
We mix oil with the fuel,but also leave the auto working,belt and braces.
Not really belt and braces as what you have done is caused the engine to run leaner and hotter so you will effectively be increasing wear on the engine.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Sounds like pretty good advice. I've mixed at 100:1 and left the autolube alone. Prob I have now is it won't start. The system has two batteries one for the engine an one for ancillaries running through a switch. I've only got one battery on at the moment for the engine, I went to the control put it in neutral attached deadmans toggle, lifted the switch and turned over but it just turns over and won't fire?? I checked the spark plugs and they are wet with fuel so fuelmix getting through. Am I missing something ? Does it need both batteries charged and attached even though only one is responsible for the engine??
Thanks
You don't say how long ago since last started so could be a case of old fuel in carbs. If you have magneto ignition the battery voltage won't affect it sparking, just how fast it turns over.
You may also have got your sums wrong doing the premix, although any oil in the petrol is too much.
If its sat around a while, carbs may even need a clean up. When I serviced mine, float needles were stuck in position which, in your case couls cause over fuelling and plug wetting.
I would try hot plugs first of all, as in heat the firing ends with a lighter or similar, can be just enough to get old fuel etc burning.
Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts