World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the misus bending my ear that she hadn,t had any dabs for tea for ages my plan was to start off on Yarmouth north beach and hopefully find a few dabs then move to fish the ebb at Lowestoft to try for soles. First half an hour was quiet as expected, then to my surprise, the whiting moved in. It was a bite a cast with many of the fish close to the size limit but none over. As the tide eased of I picked up 2 sizeable dabs and several palm sized edible crabs. As the tide turned the whiting disappeared and the codling moved in and the last 6 casts produced single and double shots of 10-12" codling. The bait was being stripped within minutes of casting by either fish or crabs. Most strange was that a majority of the fish were caught on ragworm rather than lugworm. There was no problems with weed and I was never snagged up. A majority of the fish were caught around 40 yards out as casting any further out made it difficult to hold bottom even with an 8oz lead.
At last count I had well over 20 whiting, 10 codling and 2 dabs. All fish except the 2 dabs were returned.
Dabslayer

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice to actually catch a couple of dabs especially on a Yarmouth beach which has been all but barren for quite some time.
Dabslayer

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Well done dabslayer, good report and results!

and the missus is happy!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Remember the equation of marriage Sharkey
1 happy wife = 5 minutes of blissfull peace
LOL
Dabslayer

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Nice to actually catch a couple of dabs especially on a Yarmouth beach which has been all but barren for quite some time.
Dabslayer
Eating size dabs = special fish.
After last year we will see a few more or you might have to change your handle to "Pipefishslayer".

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
With the misus bending my ear that she hadn,t had any dabs for tea for ages my plan was to start off on Yarmouth north beach and hopefully find a few dabs then move to fish the ebb at Lowestoft to try for soles. First half an hour was quiet as expected, then to my surprise, the whiting moved in. It was a bite a cast with many of the fish close to the size limit but none over. As the tide eased of I picked up 2 sizeable dabs and several palm sized edible crabs. As the tide turned the whiting disappeared and the codling moved in and the last 6 casts produced single and double shots of 10-12" codling. The bait was being stripped within minutes of casting by either fish or crabs. Most strange was that a majority of the fish were caught on ragworm rather than lugworm. There was no problems with weed and I was never snagged up. A majority of the fish were caught around 40 yards out as casting any further out made it difficult to hold bottom even with an 8oz lead.
At last count I had well over 20 whiting, 10 codling and 2 dabs. All fish except the 2 dabs were returned.
Dabslayer
were the cod caught on rag?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Remember the equation of marriage Sharkey
1 happy wife = 5 minutes of blissfull peace
LOL
Dabslayer
Some say that marriageis a lot like fishing.Long periods of boredam interspersed with the odd few seconds of excitement!!
Of course I dont agree(just in case my better half reads this!!)

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Excellent session then Dabslayer, well done mate, wish the beaches would throw summat up for me ..

AL ..

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BJ, dabslayer was my mates nickname for me after I caught 78 dabs in one session on Yarmouth north beach beside the old brittania pier back in the long hot summer of 1976. Mind you I dont fish with him any more, not since hes been in therapy ( he fancies that horse who does the Aqua minerale advert).
Soles are now starting to show around corton on evening tides !
KJ, As for the fishing the dabs were quality ones which was surprise no 1
Pinkfoot the codling were all caught on rag except 2 which was surprise no 2
The shear numbers of whiting was surprise no 3
I,ve only ever had a few thin pin whiting during spring/summer months before now but these were fat well fed fish the sort you normally get during late september early october.
As for the wife she said to me, why is it other husbands make love to their wives several times in one night and you do it only once a night. I told her cos I do it right first time.
Enough merryment,back to fishing, it looks like I may get to fish the ebb somewhere this coming weekendand will probably try lowestoft or nearby for a few soles.
Dabslayer

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
BJ, dabslayer was my mates nickname for me after I caught 78 dabs in one session on Yarmouth north beach beside the old brittania pier back in the long hot summer of 1976. Mind you I dont fish with him any more, not since hes been in therapy ( he fancies that horse who does the Aqua minerale advert).
Soles are now starting to show around corton on evening tides !

Dabslayer
:) :laugh: :laugh: Brilliant haul Dabslayer. I like the old Dab, nice thick Dabs are hard to beat eating wise. I hope they make a bit of a come back. It been hard getting them the last few years. There were loads and loads of 'em up on the shingle turn of the year, but they were only small. Hopefully they will mature and provide a bit of sport and eating for the beach angler.
Top news about the r'soles, thanks for that. Will have a go for them when I get back from me hols.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Yup, you bet. All the gear is sorted, turbie beach traces, Lochinver boat gear et al. Heaven, bar all them lumps blotting the landscape.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Hello B.J and dabs
When you get back off your hols how do you fancy having a go at a few of these southern soles may be some where like walzerwick?
you did sugest this venue in an earlier post.and it would be good to have a meet up(if you boys fancy it):g:
B.J you can have your chance to take the p--s about the turbut.:unsure:
just goes to show you shouldn't beleive every thing your'e told!!:oops:!
Have a good holiday:icecream::fishing1::sun::sun::marinheir:cool:
Spratty:thumbs:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Yo spratty a couple of my niehbours fished Walberswick yesterday right near the harbour, they had a good catch of schoolies with a couple of bass close to 3lb.
most of the fish were caught at low water when there was plenty of white water as the tide came in the fishing died off.
if you are organising a bash at walberswick count me in mate. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts