World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, heading to the Isle Of Wight at the beginning of May.

Last year during the summer we headed to Yarmouth Pier and fished from there for a couple of days. We caught Wrasse, Black Bream, a load of Sea bass on my Fiiish Black Minnows and my first ever Sole.

I am wondering what species will be there at that time of year. Will the species I mentioned previously be there? Or will I have to target different species?

Any tips will be appreciated along with which baits and rigs to use plus any other marks that will be good to fish at that time of year.

Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Chance the smoothounds will be about by then as well as the possibility of a stinger. Regularly get undulate rays off the end too. Mainly fishing crab and worm baits for the smoothies and stingers and fish baits for the undulates. Might be a bit early for the bream and bass this year as things seem to be a bit behind due to the colder recent weather.

I would personally head to venues like Atherfield, Brook or Brighstone for a better chance of small eyed rays, undulates, a decent bass and congers

·
Registered
290 Posts
The above post is bang on what i would've said. Bass fishing seems to be slower in the area this year due to the lower sea temps, if I was in your position I'd get a crab bait out there for the chance of a hound, some of the boats have been catching them in the last few weeks so they should be moving in increasing numbers shortly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chance the smoothounds will be about by then as well as the possibility of a stinger. Regularly get undulate rays off the end too. Mainly fishing crab and worm baits for the smoothies and stingers and fish baits for the undulates. Might be a bit early for the bream and bass this year as things seem to be a bit behind due to the colder recent weather.

I would personally head to venues like Atherfield, Brook or Brighstone for a better chance of small eyed rays, undulates, a decent bass and congers
Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The above post is bang on what i would've said. Bass fishing seems to be slower in the area this year due to the lower sea temps, if I was in your position I'd get a crab bait out there for the chance of a hound, some of the boats have been catching them in the last few weeks so they should be moving in increasing numbers shortly.
Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts