World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried North Beach with Andrew again today. Started at 9.30am with low water at 11.37. Usual rods, rigs and bait. Virtually no weed and a small tide but the wind was quite strong from the south, much stronger than forecast. If I had known how strong it was I would not have bothered going. Fished until 2pm but blanked, not a touch. Andrew manager 3 whiting all in size and spread through the tide. Crabs were reasonable to start with but awful once the tide slowed down. I don't know what has happened to North Beach, it was fishing quite well this time last year. On something different I watched a very interesting programme which was on BBC4 called Ocean Autopsy. It was on a few weeks ago now but have only just watched my recording, it should be on I-player. It is about the state of the North Sea, which is not good. One very interesting fact that was mentioned is that the North Sea has warmed up twice as fast as any other sea. I think that this must explain the change in species mix that we have had in Norfolk over the last few years.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Tried North Beach with Andrew again today. Started at 9.30am with low water at 11.37. Usual rods, rigs and bait. Virtually no weed and a small tide but the wind was quite strong from the south, much stronger than forecast. If I had known how strong it was I would not have bothered going. Fished until 2pm but blanked, not a touch. Andrew manager 3 whiting all in size and spread through the tide. Crabs were reasonable to start with but awful once the tide slowed down. I don't know what has happened to North Beach, it was fishing quite well this time last year. On something different I watched a very interesting programme which was on BBC4 called Ocean Autopsy. It was on a few weeks ago now but have only just watched my recording, it should be on I-player. It is about the state of the North Sea, which is not good. One very interesting fact that was mentioned is that the North Sea has warmed up twice as fast as any other sea. I think that this must explain the change in species mix that we have had in Norfolk over the last few years.
The depth or lack of it may not help, perhaps as one door shuts another on opens.

·
Registered
253 Posts
A possibility is the amount of baitfish in the water . I was out on the boat yesterday and it was rammed with whitebait , the gulls/ terms were diving all the way from winterton down to the outta harbour . Unreal to see them diving like that over such a vast area . It can only make things tougher .

·
Registered
648 Posts
Martin I'm not having a go at you But have you thought outside the box and tried a different venue or time of day or method? I'm not local to Yarmouth so not fished the estuary there but there is some decent estuary fishing this time of year for bass flats and eels good sport on lighter gear, maybe try something different for a trip or two and get your mojo back ready for the hoards of whiting in a couple of months

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Hoards of Whiting now if you fish either Corton or Pakefield. :sick:

I reckon that wind didn't help yesterday, North beach never seems to fish in a South Easterly for some unknown reason? A North Easterly yes, but not the former.

Thanks for the heads up on the TV prog Martin, I will check that out on iplayer.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Martin I'm not having a go at you But have you thought outside the box and tried a different venue or time of day or method? I'm not local to Yarmouth so not fished the estuary there but there is some decent estuary fishing this time of year for bass flats and eels good sport on lighter gear, maybe try something different for a trip or two and get your mojo back ready for the hoards of whiting in a couple of months
Thanks for the suggestion. I used to fish the river in the 60s and it was full of flounders but not any more. I really enjoy being on the beach so tend to stick with them. My gear is tuned to North Beach with 65lb braid. This limits my casting so other beaches apart from Cley/Salthouse area are really not for me. I also cannot be bothered to drive very far these days and North Beach is my nearest from Norwich. I am happy to wait for the tings, September usually also has rays, hounds and dogs as well. I will probably have another try in 2 weeks when the tides are right again.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hoards of Whiting now if you fish either Corton or Pakefield. :sick:

I reckon that wind didn't help yesterday, North beach never seems to fish in a South Easterly for some unknown reason? A North Easterly yes, but not the former.

Thanks for the heads up on the TV prog Martin, I will check that out on iplayer.
Yes Alan S or SE is not good but the forecast was wrong or I would not have tried. The tings must move up soon. I do recommend the programme it is very interesting if a bit worrying.

90 Posts
Hello All,
I haven't been fishing for s while, but we have a short break coming up next weekend in Yarmouth (Friday-Monday).

I was looking forward to fishing North Beach, but reading the reports i'm not so confident. Hopefully things will improve by next weekend, at least i will get a chance to fish in the evening. Still need to check the tides.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts