World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

As lots of you will already know, I am a huge fan of the "go light and lure" brigade, and dont do a huge amount of fishing with bait!

Never caused me any real problems, since I have managed to catch fish on lures in most months of the year.

However, I've really had my appetite whetted by posts about Mullet in the Estuary, and Bream in Carnsew Pool, and after chatting to the chap building my conservatory, who has just himself started fishing Carnsew as he has just moved to Hayle, I convinced myself that it would be great fun!

Today, I knew the weather would be good, and for once the gods did not disappoint! Beautiful blue skies, the mist burning off the estuary, I decided that this was the day!! I had made my rigs, dug out my 1oz leads, and grabbed the Spinning rod and rucksack and headed for the door!

The short drive to Hayle and my heart was pounding with that eager anticipation, fuelled by the warmth of the day and the knowledge that for today at least, Summer is definitely in the air.

I got to Jewsons, and duly drove round the back, as I have countless times before, only to be confronted with a new sign!! WARNING - NO VEHICLES WITHOUT AUTHORISATION BLAH BLAH BLAH, PRIVATE PROPERTY ETC - and a barrier to which I clearly didnt have the key to lift! Now this is a new one on me, and I suspect the myriad of dog walkers who used to park thier cars there! Couple this to the fact that there are now big lumps of granite lining the road so you cant turn the car round, and I was one grumpy anti-establishment chappy as I backed back out onto the ever busy main road!

Never mind, I thought, its too beautiful a day to let that ruin it! I parked up next to the railway station, and popped down to the bait shop in the arcade to pick up some bait!! Big sign outside....rag, lug all available!! Fantastic...I would take both!! Oh no I wont...."I'm sorry", said the woman, "no rag till Friday!" and who knows when lug may appear!! She seemed not in the least concerned when I explained that this might well affect my planned fishing trip!

Ever the quick thinker, I ran back to the car (empty handed!) and sped my way up the A30 to Camborne - they were bound to have bait in the tackle shop there!! Got there and dodged all the roadworks to squeeze tightly into the smallest space on the rd!! Leapt out of the car......and the shop was shut! Doesn't open till 1pm on Tuesdays!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHH!!

Jumped back in the car, and renegotiated my way back out of the tight space, and sped once more back down the A30 back to Hayle! I got back and it had now turned 12..... only an hour or so left in the tide!

I like to think that I'm a rational thinker in a crisis, so I did the only think that I could think of.......................... I got a big fat Pasty from Hansons, and sat on the quayside throwing bits of crust at the clouds of passing Mullet!

Sometimes you just know that you should have stayed in bed!!

Cheers all,

Frags.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
blimey, that was a mission. well done on the effort, i'd love to give the bream a go in the halye estuary/carnsew and the bass and mullet of course. one day.

sandy's in redruth may have had some bait but thats even further than redruth.

good luck in the future, and if you get one of them bream post a piccy of it so i know they do get caught form there.

tight lines crafty

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hi mate bad luck on that, if it's any consolation I spent 40 mins of my lunch break dangling a prawn from a float behind phips pasty shop with no result. It may be too early for the bream yet and the bass don't seem to be there at any size or in numbers yet. It was great just to be out with a line in the water today though. Hopefully the fish will start to show soon. If you fancy it let me know when you're trying again and I'll try to offer some tips, in exchange for some advice on St Ives perhaps. Especially as i'm moving over there next month. Fair exchange no robbery. (That should even keep dinoboy happy)! :) Drop me a pm sometime.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers Bassmad,

I will take you up on that one!!!

My p.s to the story is that I got back to St Ives, parked the car up and went down to Clodgy, which I hoped might still be accessible given the tiny neaps! No chance, so just used spinners and plugs either side of it...........Zip all, but the water still seems really murky!

Ah well....I'll leave it a few days then go again! LOL

Cheers,

Frags

1 - 4 of 4 Posts