World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A LONG TIME ON THE HARD

On about the 6th August I went down to the boat and found Steve scrubbing the deck of the cockpit, removing a lot of loose paint that has been needing attention for about 12 months. On top of that the decks themselves were in a shocking state and some of the boards were rocking, in fact they were on their last legs. Following a short conversation with Steve I went up to the office and requested we got lifted out in order to do a complete tear out and relay of the deck.

The following Saturday saw all three of us down at the boat and the tear out was commenced

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k148/edgeoftime/AugustRefit002.jpg[/IMG

] [IMG]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k148/edgeoftime/AugustRefit004.jpg

A lot of tearing was done and by the end of the day she looked like this]

Following the day of destruction, we now could see what we needed to do, the material for the deck was on site, 18mm ply glassed on both sides. The fitting of which looked like it was going to be a bit of a nightmare but Adam a fellow boater came and showed us how to do it.

Slowly the job started to come together, and with his expert guidance Steve and I along with our “tutor” got the side pieces glassed in and the centre rear section cut.

That was the week end over, it was now down to Steve and I Mick has a job to go to.
Monday 15th August the weather was not good so we had a day off.

The following day Tuesday 16th, I met Steve at the boat, and promptly head butted the port engine “George” making a mess of my left eye, that was me out of it for a while, and from then on Steve tackled the job on his own, Mick got to him on the Holiday Monday, but I was unable to assist in any way and was told to stay home. When I next saw EOT she looked like this.

Apart from being the procuring officer I was a wasted space, and was just about able to roll the anti-foul on this weekend.

]

A big thanks to Darren (Tiny) who resealed our “D” section, in a professional manner (no finger marks or drips) with mastic, and to Adam without his help we would still be looking like a junk yard, Gary (for his engineering skills) Mick and most of all Steve who more or less did everything else.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Nice job that going be a few fishing trips owed out.

·
Registered
785 Posts
with a boat that size mates certainly help ! tidy job done there by all :)

how's the eye? nothing too bad i hope ?

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great looking boat you got and great pals. Do you get to use the outriggers on her. What make is she.

Cheers
The boat is an AQUABELL MEDITERANEAN, there are three of us joint owners, (learned a long time back) boats no matter what size are far too expensive for singletons. Re the outriggers not much need of them in the Thames Estuary, fitted before we got her.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Beautiful job there and nice to see it in pictures too. Bet that was nasty smacking your eye like that, a lesson there me thinks. Not a big job to make the deck look even better - get the teak oil/varnish out for that woodwork before winter sets in?

Regards

Harry

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Beautiful job there and nice to see it in pictures too. Bet that was nasty smacking your eye like that, a lesson there me thinks. Not a big job to make the deck look even better - get the teak oil/varnish out for that woodwork before winter sets in?

Regards

Harry
the gunnels get oiled about every month, but fails to penetrate the teak, tried allsorts of applications, sikkens, varnishes, stains, ronseal you name it we've tried it, nothing but nothing will stay looking good for long, if any one has any ideas I will be pleased to listen.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
the gunnels get oiled about every month, but fails to penetrate the teak, tried allsorts of applications, sikkens, varnishes, stains, ronseal you name it we've tried it, nothing but nothing will stay looking good for long, if any one has any ideas I will be pleased to listen.
Yes I know what you mean. I had a Westerly sailing yacht once and I was told to oil the woodwork. I could see no logic in oiling over varnish (even though most of it had peeled), so I simply sanded back to clean grain and applied teak oil. This however is an ongoing maintenance issue as you have found out! I think you have done everything right though. I would like to congratulate you again with that decking :clap2:

Harry

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cracking job !! As you say mates are always a very good thing...makes a big job seem painless :punk:
We are three handed to begin with, but are not too proud to accept assistance or advice, and always willing to help others, that's what boats are all about.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
my uncle used to treat his gunnels with linseed oil and petrol mixed seem to last a while and that was on a charter/potting boat just dont smoke whilst fishing lol

·
Registered
288 Posts
We are three handed to begin with, but are not too proud to accept assistance or advice, and always willing to help others, that's what boats are all about.
Guess that's why you get help when needed.:)

Beautiful job by the way and hope the eye is healing ok.

Yappo

·
Things Come to Those Who Bait
2,460 Posts
welldone on the work, carried out, and all help is always welcomed, the very best of luck on your ventures

Cheers
Bob

·
Registered
191 Posts
Is the deck now sealed ? i.e. watertight.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
John, the boat & especially the decking are looking great, apologise for being out of commission & unable to help on the refurbishment, Steve has done a great job on those mitre cuts. I cant wait to get some squid & lugworm juice & hopefully some cod & skate gutting on the new floor to christen it.............I can just see Steve's face & hear him shouting ' get a fish box you ####y #####e #####r.

What beverage did you use for the re launch & anybody famous to break it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again superb job.

Alan

1 - 20 of 23 Posts