World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today's rainy day thread!

What's been your best moment so far in sea-fishing? Could be an unexpected catch, or some good homework leading to a satisfying result, or your first tope, or whatever!

Let's hear some fishy tales!

Cheers - John

G

·
I have a few, but here goes.

About 3(ish) years ago, I was just starting to get into sea float fishing, a few of us decided to go down to Ogmore Deeps and fish it low tide up. I setup my trsuty float gear, with a chemical light taped to the pike float, with a piece of sandeel of about 1 1/2" long and the float set to about 3'. Cast out into a little pool there, started to doze off, I noticed I had a hell of a bend in my bass rod, with my float/chemical light going around in circles. the result was a 6 1/4lb bass.

Down Brixham Breakwater last year. a friend and myself took down our light gear, my mate cast his out, with a float and 1/2 ounce weight with a sliver of mackerel, said to me, "I will move close to the sea as the tide is going out", all of a sudden his arm shot out with a decent sized mackerel on!

Good fun! Also, there ia theme here, float fishing, not a great distance, less than 15 yards out!

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's mine:

It was two days before Christmas a couple of years back. Mad Friday they call it in Machynlleth, the night the bar-staff all dread, when work's closed at lunchtime and people who don't normally drink have by mid-evening been on an 8-hour bender. A night to go fishing, in other words!

The night before I'd fished the beach at Tywyn up over HW and down the ebb. Not a brilliant tide, and most people don't fish the ebb, but I like to try all parts of the tides to see what's happening. I'd been catching whiting and a few dabs on one rod while a second rod baited with black lug on a 3/0 hook failed to pick much up apart from a few more whiting.

As the tide ebbed away to about 2/3 down, there was a better bite on the lug-baited rod and a tussle commenced. In the surf, whatever it was let go and I nearly fell over backwards! I reeled in to find a 5-bearded rockling, looking rather mauled. It had been chewing the lugworm and by some amazing fluke had taken the 3/0 right into its mouth!

Taking all of this into account, and thinking hard about what had happened, on Mad Friday I returned to the same mark, setting up one rod for whiting etc and another with a small hook baited with black lug. After a while this began to twitch a little and in came a rockling about 6" long. I cut off the small hook and replaced it with a 6/0, attached the rockling and wanged it out. This was about an hour before the same point in the tide that produced the big bite the night before, so I was in time (in theory!).....

The tide ebbed away in the darkness and the big-bait rod stayed still as more whiting came in on the "main rod".

I'd just unhooked and clonked a whiting when the big-bait rod slammed over hard. Grabbing it I felt immediate strong resistance - giving me confidence that whatever it was was well-hooked. A similar, but heavier, fight to the one the night before then ensued and there were times when the fish was caught in the backwash and I had to run down towards the sea to give a little line, there being quite a surf running. After a few mad minutes I got the fish into a roller coming ashore and beached it on the sand.

It was a 6.5lb codling - the best one I've had from the mark - in prime condition. One look at the size of its mouth made me realise that it would have happily swallowed the rockling in one gulp.

By the time I'd packed up and driven home it was last orders and the raving hordes had staggered off to bed already, so it was a very happy angler with his pint that night!

It was really satisfying because I'd recreated a situation that occurred the night before and turned it into an opportunity which was a complete success! Like everyone else I try to understand what's going on out there and on this occasion that understanding paid off!

Last winter I tried again, but was thwarted with the Curse of Tywyn i.e. masses of floating seaweed! As there is a sideways tidal flow along the beach it can drive you to distraction sometimes! This winter I'll be back on those medium sized ebb tides, hoping the weed will stay away!

Cheers - John

G

·
fishing off the pier in swansea i cast out my rods then chucked a hook and weight on a spare spool of line
and lo and behold if the linne didnt start buggering off with a sizeable bass on it cant remember the size but radiokaos enjoyed eating it

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Bro, i weighed it when i got home and it was just over 5.5lb then.
Remember those immortal words of the other boys fishing there before we cast out ,- "been here all night we have nothing doing at all not even a bite" :D

Not allowed on east peir now, all because of 9/11, they increased security at the ports. :mad:

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
I remember fishing in Oxwich as a 12 year old. None of us had a touch all morning, so I got a length of line, tied on a hook, put a limpet on and dangled it off the rocks to try and catch some softbacks for bait.

I felt the line go tight, and after about 10 seconds of tug-of-war I got it to the surface. I saw this huge mouth and beady eyes and started screaming "Dad! Dad! I've caught a shark!"

It was my first doggie. :rolleyes: 25 years on my Dad still talks about it. Git! :D

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
John
Following on from my posting on the thread about ‘Favourite Type of Fishing’ here’s one of the ‘best’ and one of the ‘worst’.

The best, or certainly one of the most interesting. One evening we were anchored up on a drop off, from 600’ to VERY deep water, Ascension Island in the South Atlantic. (The island’s volcanic so we were less than 3 miles offshore.) And we were ‘chunking’ for Yellowfin Tuna. That involves throwing a small number of fish chunks into the water and watching them sink out of sight before you throw the next few in. Through this trail, that you hope is going to attract a shoal of tuna, you attempt to naturally free-line down a small chunk of bait.

After 10 minutes or so though I sensed something either mouth my bait or brush against the line. I mentioned it to the skipper on the flybridge who, after 30 seconds or so, noticed a fish flash in our trail. It wasn’t a shoal though, just a singleton around 80lbs. And he started to swim around on the surface ‘hoovering up’ every piece of bait we threw in. But studiously ignoring the bits with hooks in! Tuna have incredible eye sight. And despite the 4/0 hooks and 80lb flurocarbon leaders we were using our baits were obviously sinking at a different rate.

Any rate frustration started to build. We weren’t attracting anything else that would have instilled competitive feeding. Finally we cut the leader off and tied a triple strength 3/0 Owner livebait hook direct to the 50lb reel line. Then balancing on the transom we literally ‘dapped’ the piece of bait on the surface and flicked a solitary piece of chum towards it. The tuna appeared from under our stern, and confidentially took the chum and this time our bait.

Now to the worst. Well it certainly gave me a fright! Once again it was to a venue that some of those that would have served in the forces would recognise – Belize.

We were fishing some 30 miles offshore on a small island, Turneffe, on the edge of the Barrier Reef targeting Bonefish on the fly. There wasn’t a lot else to do so, after dinner, and it gets dark early in the Tropics, we used to fish for the Jacks off the end of a small jetty. That was using light, 12lb test spin gear, and cranking small jigs fast across the surface. Any rate that particular evening, and we’d caught a number of Jacks up to I guess 12lbs of so, my friend had a much better strike. There was a lot of ‘white water’ on the surface about 30’ out and the shark, he was convinced it was a shark, swum slowly but strongly out to sea.

He wasn’t using a wire trace but after 15 minutes or so was still attached and starting to retrieve some line. I then managed to find a small ‘release’ gaff, about 18” long, in one of the skiffs and spread-eagled myself on the jetty. I could just about touch the water – there’s a limited tidal range in the Caribbean - and had plans to clip what I was now convinced had to be a foul-hooked fish in the corner of the jaw and break the line.

The ‘shark’ was labouring slowly towards us and coming in tail first. Definitely foul-hooked. But it looked strange, it was mottled brown and appear sinuous. As I lent out, less than 2’ from its tail, I spotted, on the other end of its tail, FEET. It was a crocodile!
Not surprisingly I panicked as did the croc!

Any rate to cut a long story short my friend stayed attached and one of the fishing guides managed to get a snake noose – more of that later – around its jaws. Two of them tried to lift it, and I guess it was around 8’ long and probably weighed over 300lbs, but it started to spin and eventually broke the wire of the noose. The line broke and we lost the jig, much to my friend’s disgust.

When we talked about it later he confided that although he’d called it initially a shark he’d actually been convinced that it was a snake. And they had some huge, close to 18’, constrictors that lurked in the mangroves!

Any rate that’s my ‘four penny-worth’.
Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Whilst working over seas once I had just bought a brand new surf caster and headed out for a night fish. Got rigged up and cast out and sat down to sup on a beer when when bang over went the rod straight out the rod stand and off down into the water off the rocky pier i was fishing. Dork here had forgot to set the drag and it was cranked up to the max. Rodless and P***ed off i packed up and went home. The next day my mate said he was going to go down to the same place and do some trolling in his rib. I decided i would go with him. Once we got out there we got rigged up and set the lines out with some rapala deep divers. 15 minutes into the fish the starbord rod went double and started peeling line. 3 minutes later with no idea what was on the line because it felt nothing like a fish up came my surf caster :D . With great joy i unhooked the rapala looked it over to see if anything was damaged when there was a suden enourmous pull that nearly had me out the boat. I backed off the bloody drag and it started peeling line out. 30 minutes later up came a 60lb sand shark. Thanks to the big sandy bay the old sandy had no problem pulling the rod around all night until i hooked him again the next day.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
:eek: Awesome fishing Jack, i dont know about worse expereince, they both sound brilliant to me. :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Got two. Fishing in Saundersfoot about four years ago. I had started coarse fishing and after about 50 atempts, still had not caught a thing. Went on holiday to Wales and finally caught my first fish, a Tub Gurnard at about 1/2 to 3/4 LB.
Those two weeks i took a few Gurnard including a double take on the paternoster. Two fish in one cast!!!!!. That wek also had some bad points. I lost two or three 4-5lb Grey Mullet because i could not get them up the harbour wall. I caught a few from the surface and also caught one on the bottom. Shame. I also caught a gurnard on a spinner.

Probabley the best moment for me while sea fishing happened last year while on holiday in Newquay, Wales. I was fishing with my dad on the harbour, he was down on the front bit lure fishing, when the rods started to get what in hindsight must of been line bites. My dads started first then stopped as mine started.
In the next twenty seconds i s*** myself as an atlantic seal weighing about a ton surfaced right in close to the harbour wall. You heard him surface and i brought in the beachcasters as fast as i could. The big seal was making his way to the rocks. I would never have imagined that a 1 ton seal could have been so close to the harbour wal and within swimming distance of the beach. Also encountered a feww dolphins that day surfacing. What a session - even if i did only catch a pollack the size of my hand!

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
If you fish the Swellies you need to consider going home after 2 and half hours of the tide flowing in. The Charles Winsor lad (he was then) had decided to get married and the me mam's house was full of Royalists watching TV. So out with the kit and off to the dinghy. I was the only one out! So there was one Republican in Menai Bridge that day at least.

Plenty of bait and good weather, Terns diving for company and happy looking Herons with their backs to the water, full with fish. I had all the likely marks to myself and did I try them! Not a touch. Perhaps they were all watching the TV? Two hours of this and feeling really ... pis....catorially challenged, I turned to trolling as there were so many birds diving. Still nothing and even lost my favourite spinner!! Start back as there's always a drink and food after a 'Royal' event at least.

Decided to stop at an island in the flood and have a 'last cast'. I'd had Bass there before but usually on a Toby out in the white water. But my Toby'd been lost so I made up my spinning rod (home made hollow glass) and a small fixed spool. Big Model Perfect hook tied direct, and a lovely 'jelly' softie tied on with red wool, no weight needed to freeline. Cast out into the moving stuff and payed out plenty of slack to let it move about. It sped about and then slackened off to tell me that it was caught in the eddy and under my feet, albeit about 20' down, amongst the rising weed. So took in a litttle slack and waited, the rod over the bow of the beached dinghy.

It's funny but the tide always seems to be rising faster after about half tide doesn't it so I was having to keep pulling the boat up onto the rock otherwise i'd be stranded there. On one of those 'pulls' the rod started pulling back! Bloody snagged I thought so lifted it up! Suffice it to say it took longer than usual to reel it in what with it diving into the fast moving stuff. Nearly 10lbs and the last sizeable Bass i've had. Photographed with the kids (picture now a family heirloom!) and it tasted better than I thought! (I used to take catches home in those days)

I went fishing the last time he got married too. Beach was packed with people that day!! How times have changed, though I didn't get a bite!

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
This is mine:
About 15 years ago my pal Mally came fishing with me for cod venue was Skinningrove Jetty (between redcar & whitby) in 2 hours we had 32 cod I had 15 mally had 17 all between 2lb to 9lb what a good result that day.

Then about 4 years ago I was in the same place, 1st cast baited up with lug/squid & mussle cast the whole lot out waited for the "end tackle" to get a grip on the sea-bed and instantly got a thumping bite all that "Fish" wanted to do was RUN, RUN & RUN, I could not even slow it down, what ever it was it snapped my 25lb line like cotton. even today I still don't know what it was !

I think that was my turn at "Being-in-the-right-place-at-the-right-time"

........if only I got it !!!!! :confused:

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
2 years ago I was fishing for bass. Ugly Stick Gold Ultra Lite spinning rod, Penn SSB350 fixed spool with 6lb fluro and a 1/0 hook holding a big Launce live bait. Got the mother of all takes and the reel screemed. I have only ever had bass from this mark so I am thinking record, it was off like a steam train. I couldn't stop it and I was running out of line fast. My lad got the engine started and followed the fish, not a second too soon, I had about 10 wraps of line left on the spool. We were in really shallow water, in places too shallow for the boat to follow but my lad did a superb job of threading us through the channels for 20 min following the fish. I am by then convinced it is The Bass, then I saw it in the water, just a shape hanging low in the water ad I knew then if I landed it I had the record. It was 3 foot+. Then I saw it more clearly, it had huge pectoral fins, hang on bass don't have big pectorals. It was I a tope. I gave the rod to my lad and he boated it after another 15-20 min cat and mouse. The 1/0 hook had nicked it's chin.

My best abroad has to be float fishing on a pier in Florda, I had live prawn as bait on a steel trace rigged 2/0 and caught all sorts. Catfish, stingers, snook, sheepsheads, ladyfish...One sticks in mind though, float went under and away it went, thought it was a big snook the speed it went off at. After 30 min gaining a bit and giving a bit I got it to the side of the pier. Unmistakable shape of a hammerhead shark. Only small, about 30lb but to catch one on a float was unusual to say the least. Walked it back along the pier and beached it. Best thing I was swimming round that pier the day before. Stuck to the pool after that. :eek:

Best day ever had to be when I took a young lad and his dad out. They got in touch via the net, the lad had the bug but had only had dogs and mack. I got them out on the boat. Started with a few bass to 6lb, then out for mack for bait. He had huss to 10lb and skate to 14lb. To top it off we tried for Tope and he had one of 55lb, when he landed it he just colapsed on the deck. The look on his face was 'Priceless'

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
wow, some great stories there guys...
heres my attempt...
last november, me and a mate went to west bexington on chesil beach in search of sole. my pal had 4 sole up to 2lb!!and i only managed one of about 10oz along with loads of whiting and dogs until.... we were just about to call it a night when i noticed a textbook flattie bite, i waited a minuit and then struck. it resulted in a good sole of 2lb 1oz. as i packed that rod up i saw a bite on my other rod which was a typical whiting bite. i continued to pack up my gear and let the bite develope. as i turned round to get the rod and stike, the rod doubled over and nearly came out of the stand. i didnt know what to do, my mate told me to leave it for a minuite. it went away for a while and as i was about to reel in my losses it went again. i couldnt wait any longer so i struck and the fish pulled me round and headed up-tide. i had to go with it as it was only on a size 3 hook. 10 minuits of following this thing down the beach i finaly managed to land it. it turned out to be a 16lb cod which had engulfed the 14 inch whiting and taken the size 3 hook right in the corner of the mouth! i almost fainted.
a big sole and a big cod on my last two casts! not bad eh?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
As a yougster of 11 years, I went on my first boat trip out of Stonehaven. I went armed with all the fancy lures and bait I could afford.

After a couple of hours I had caught nothing, but managed to lose all of the lures that my pocket money had bought.

All I had left was some feathers I had made myself. I tried them and first drop down I nearly got pulled in. Everyone thought I had snagged the bottom yet again.

With one of the guys holding me by the belt, I hauled up a 20lb 4 oz cod. I was too excited to fish after that, and my arms were tired anyway, this catch was made all the sweeter by a homemade red feather with silver foil whipped round the hook body by an 11 year old.

Never have caught anything as big ever since, and now I am knocking 40.

·
Welsh Dangler
3,340 Posts
Here goes...

Last August me and Valley boyo were fishing Friars point in Barry. High tide was around 8pm and on checking the tide table realised it was one of the biggest of the summer.
Cast one rod out with a 2 hook flapper and some mackie for bait cast another rod out pulley pennels with crab and squid wrap on.
After a few hours of this and only a few doggies between us we were both getting fed up and started to wind each other up about bites we weren't having.
Then as I was baiting up a spare trace he said 'quick your having a bite' No chance I thought you aint catching me like that so I finished baiting the trace.......

I turned around to see him grabbing my rod just in time before it flew off down the rocks.

I took it off him and struck into a good fish,didn't have a clue what it was, after a few minutes it started swimming towards me so i was winding like mad..got it near the rocks and saw a long flash of silver...'BASS help its a good 'un' I shouted and at that moment the fish swam straight towards the rocks and i manged to land it safely.
It wasn't a bass but a good double figure starry smoothhound. I was well happy my biggest shore fish and a new species for me.
Fought like hell as well.

My most memorable shore catch so far!

·
Master Blanker
3,582 Posts
i have a good fishing tale, and a very bad one for me. my worst first i think, when i was 16, i was fishing almost daily.... my stepdad and a few of his friends and myself, decided on a night time trip to abbotsbury, beggining of february. we all got our gear together, and at the last minute, my uncle decided he would like to come with us. he had never fished before, and had no tackle. so i went to the tackle shop with him, and brought him a cheap beachy and reel combo, line and tackle, and off we went.........................................................we got to the beach, about 4.30. i set myself up an d cast out. then i set my uncle up, and cast for him. he was fishing right along side me, and the same bait...... within 5 minutes my uncle had a good bite, and reeled in a 16lb cod.......begginers luck :mad: . we fished all night and 4 out of the 5 of us fishing that night all caught cod, my uncle had another at 8lb....guess what... i never caught 1, and i never have :( .

my best is freelining a live sandeel and catching a 6lb 8oz bass :) matt

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Well John really started something here with his ‘rainy day’ thread! And it’s fascinating to see just how vivid those memories still are.

Here’s some more that I suspect can by entitled more, to paraphrase the film title – the ‘Ecstasy and the Agony’. They relate to my failed attempts at catching World record-sized fish!

I guess it starts back in 1982. A few members of our Club were competed against some Belgian anglers in a tournament in Madeira. Fish had been relatively ‘thin on the ground’ and we were catching inshore, on Rapalas, things like Bluefish, European Barracuda small Grouper and things, all mouth, called Lizardfish.

Any rate, on one particular day, we decided to run to a small group of offshore islands, the Desertas. That involved I guess a 12 mile run over particularly deep water so we decided to fish for Skipjack Tuna, fish up to 20lbs maximum. I rigged up with a 30lb outfit and a small 5” bullet lure, a Hexhead, on a 3’ light wire trace.

Any rate the bite came – a Skipjack – but I can recall thinking that it was taking the boat a long time to slow down. I started to fight the fish and very quickly started to revise my view of the fish. It definitely wasn’t a Skipjack, perhaps it was a BigEye Tuna around 50lbs or so? As the fight progressed, now well over 30 minutes in, I realised I wasn’t going to beat it with the carefully set drag settings on the reel. So I pushed the drag up until I removed all the stretch from the line. It was starting to ‘sing’, then I backed it off a fraction.

After an hour and a quarter an exhausted Tuna surfaced 60 or 70 yards back and, through the interpreter we had on the boat, I asked the skipper to back down. Then that realisation perhaps why the boat had taken so long to slow the controls on the flybridge weren’t working! The skipper rushed down into the cabin, where he had difficulty seeing me let alone the fish. That wasn’t going to work. So the fight continued. And at one time we were running parallel to the fish just 30’ away, flat out. The line, as it cut through the water, was throwing up a ‘roostertail’.

After approaching 3 hours I’d beaten the fish and I was pumping it closer to the boat. We’d even managed to find a rusty old gaff to land it with. But ‘Lady Luck’ deserted me! I’d forgotten I’d screwed the drag up and with the fish just 20’ out the line broke with a bullet-like crack.

Have you ever tried breaking 30lb line with a rod? It’s next to impossible, but I suspect that it might have been abraded by the Tuna’s – and to this day I don’t know whether it was a BigEye or small Bluefin – tail?

We were bad enough, but the crew that included a professional tuna skipper, looked disconsolate. I talked to them and they were asking what line strength I was using – 80, 50? No it was 30, they obviously thought I was crazy. Any rate when I asked the tuna skipper how big the fish was he reckoned it was around 120 kilos (250lbs). The IGFA World record at the time for BigEye was around 180lbs, and there wasn’t one for Bluefin. What do the French say? “C’est la vie”. That just about summed it up!

Moving on then, this time to 1991, and a family holiday in Florida. We’d ‘done’ Disney and were spending a week in Key West on the Florida Keys. Well I must be very persuasive because I managed to convince my wife to let me go out fishing. It was a great day, with far too many stories to recount here. But at one point we were anchored over a small wreck in 70’ of water, over 40 miles offshore in the Gulf of Mexico. (I forgot to mention I was fishing with a skipper, Bob Trosset, who at that stage had caught nearly 100 World records for his clients.)

We were jigging, using 8lb spin gear, and catching Amberjack around the 15 to 20lb size. At one stage, whilst playing a fish, I looked over the side and saw it in the water still 30 odd foot down. But it had perhaps another 6 Amberjack for company. At this stage Bob hook a livebait through the back and starts screaming at me to leave that fish on the surface – it’s swim bladder had blown – and get the ‘other rod’. The other fish that included a ‘biggie’, around 60lbs, were chasing after the livebait that Bob was ‘figure of eighting’ on the surface

Now Bob was prepared for every eventuality and I guess he must have had at least 12 rods rigged on the boat. So which rod? Mistakenly I picked up one of the other light tackle rods and as soon as the jig touched the surface one of the smaller fish grabbed it. And he’s now streaming at me to break it off, which I duly did. Unfortunately the rest of the shoal followed it downwards.

When the excitement died down he explained that he’d wanted me to use the fly rod that had been rigged with a 16lb tippet. The IGFA had only just introduced that class and the big fish would have easily broken the existing record. That certainly shows the need for preparation, and close skipper/angler communication, if records are a possibility.

Any rate the day wasn’t finished. We ran inshore and stopped to explore some breaks in a derelict jetty. And there in one gap, with the water rushing through, actively hunting amongst the jumble of rocks was a massive Permit. Bob thought it was around 50lbs and again well over the existing line class record. This time there was time to prepare. We rigged a live crab on a set of 16lb class tackle balanced with a small multiplier. But despite half a dozen casts we could get the crab to sink quickly enough to get it in the fish’s cone of vision. And adding weight just wouldn’t have helped. It would have dragged it into the jumble of rocks. We finally left the fish still feeding!

Now the last one - in Faial in the Azores in 1999 - and definitely the closest yet. And this time we were fishing for records. Ted Legg from Gosport, who some of you may have fished with in the past, was skippering the boat. The Marlin fishing had been slow, so we decided to go out one evening and target Bluefish on a reef in about 50’ of water. Looking at the World records the one that looked do-able, and one that had stood since 1977, was the 6lb line class – 20lbs 1oz.

So we rigged up a light set of spin gear and tested the drag against a litre bottle of water. Fishing a free-lined small bream livebait the first fish was a European Barracuda but then the next felt much better. Was this the fish we’d been looking for?

It was now dark and this fish seemed to have a ‘comfort zone’. It would run, and I could bring it up so far but no further. And I tried everything short pumps, long slow pumps but nothing would work. Finally after 40 minutes it went on a longer run, up current, I pumped it back and it surfaced. Both Ted and I were convinced that this was the record we’d been looking for. We gaffed it. It was long and had only recently spawned but when we weighed it onboard the scales were registering between 20 and 21lbs.

We went in and it was now approaching 1 o’clock in the morning. And the only set of accredited scales we had to hand was a set of ‘big fish’ electronic scales calibrated in whole pounds. It registered ‘20’, so we knew it weighed at least 20 but less than 21. All we could do was to wrap it in a wet towel and wait until the morning. When we re-weighed it on more sensitive scales it went 19lb 12oz. Then the disappointment set in. It would have easily broken the European record, but that wasn’t what I’d been after. We didn’t bother claiming that and didn’t even take a picture of the fish, just went out fishing again.

G

·
i suppose another memorable fish was my first hound
having given up fishing for 6 years i was on hols in selsey and decided i would have a bash, so local shop later 30 quid rod and real deal a few rigs and a bag o worm i hit the beach
blanked
later that evening i tried again lobbed out walked to chap next to me for a chinwag who then informed me my rod was going swimming, the pair of us legged it to the surf and grabbed it.
now i had only seen smoothies in the comics so i reeled in like crazy drag on the front of the reel tightened as much as it could go (well i didnt know about how well these fish fought ) 10 minutes later i beached my first smut of 9lb, grinned from ear to ear and well pleased with myself.
mother in law doesnt have a caravan at selsey anymore so i dont fish there as much as i can but after close on 30 smoothies in the past 5 years i will always remember my first

·
Registered
64 Posts
just got back from west coast of scotland got a tip of local about secret rock mark two of us fished it all day must of caught over 100 pollock between us not to mention the mackeral ,wrass and two conger we pulled out probably go there every year now till i die .

1 - 20 of 36 Posts