World Sea Fishing Forums banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Got this ones in the Thames at Richmond right in front of the pub. Didn't know there were Zander there at the time.
Since then I've tried to catch more Thames Zander but they have eluded me :happy:
Used to get them often in the Netherlands.

Lovely fish, on bait or lure?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
The above mentioned, must be worthy of being mentioned they have some serious teeth.!! Caught a 8lb er on red maggots fishing denver sluice last summer. What a surprise that was.
I use to live in the fens,use to fish cut off.
Middle level.
Ouse etc, I always did well especially the aqueduct at outwell 4-5 doubles wasn't rear .small roach 2-3inches long,on the bottom and float,always found winter was better but still caught good fish in the summer but eels were a problem.
Use to walk miles along the 16ft ,pike bung only 3ft off the bank,once u find where they was use to bag up

·
Registered
187 Posts
I live next to the Ouse, and the stretch is allegedly a well known hotspot for Zander..... I’ve yet to catch one :( despite trying for a number of years
have a look at rosswell pits in eley ( eley sailing club) its day ticket if bailiff turns up, fish anywere you can get in, small roach,trout, and eel chunks seem to be best, (all dead baits) I have had pike just over 27lb there and zeds up to 10lb.
But the old british record came from there 18lb or 19lb i believe

·
Registered
70 Posts
have a look at rosswell pits in eley ( eley sailing club) its day ticket if bailiff turns up, fish anywere you can get in, small roach,trout, and eel chunks seem to be best, (all dead baits) I have had pike just over 27lb there and zeds up to 10lb.
But the old british record came from there 18lb or 19lb i believe
That's good to know, about 3-4 miles away from me. Cheers

·
Registered
48 Posts
Always wanted to catch one but there’s none up my way so a couple of years ago went down and fished the Coventry and Oxford canals with a couple of mates . We didn’t get any big ones but we all caught and they were all on the same zman slim shad lures in pearl , only had perch when we used other lures .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Living not a million miles from the Ouse, have found fishing from the boat with jigs or drop shotting to be the better method in locating and catching zander. At present there has been an explosion of small zander, and we have literally caught zander solidly for a mornings fishing using drop shot lures. The bigger ones are more elusive but they are tere and very nomadic.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts