World Sea Fishing Forums banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
Anyone planning a trip to the West Midlands should be aware that the Canals and Rivers Trust have decimated a lot of the canal fisheries by electro fishing them and removing zander in 2021.
Stick to the rivers.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
thanks Oli ;)

a zander is more finicky/capricious , stays near the bottom in daytime , hunt near the banks at dawn (or murky water ) , fight good when hooked near its lips
BUT it is much less powerful than a bass , so does a lot of fresh water predators (except river salmonids )

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Anyone planning a trip to the West Midlands should be aware that the Canals and Rivers Trust have decimated a lot of the canal fisheries by electro fishing them and removing zander in 2021.
Stick to the rivers.
The assholes do it every few years even though there really isn't that many. I fish an area where they (used to) gather around locks, so it could seem that the canal was overrun with them as you could catch several in a short evening session. Truth is that you could then walk miles in any direction fishing for them and not see another zander. The area used to repopulate but they really overdid it a few years back and it's never recovered. They also took out any pike and perch they caught at the time and sold them to a fishery in the lake district.

The Canals and Rivers Trust is a misnomer.. they don't care one bit about the waterways, just profit. They actually lease a stretch to the Lure Anglers Society and promised not to cull the zander there.. how's that for hypocrisy!

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
The assholes do it every few years even though there really isn't that many. I fish an area where they (used to) gather around locks, so it could seem that the canal was overrun with them as you could catch several in a short evening session. Truth is that you could then walk miles in any direction fishing for them and not see another zander. The area used to repopulate but they really overdid it a few years back and it's never recovered. They also took out any pike and perch they caught at the time and sold them to a fishery in the lake district.

The Canals and Rivers Trust is a misnomer.. they don't care one bit about the waterways, just profit. They actually lease a stretch to the Lure Anglers Society and promised not to cull the zander there.. how's that for hypocrisy!
Rumour has it that some end up at Billingsgate fish market.
Given the industrial history of the midlands canals, I dread to think what sort of chemicals/heavy metals are present in those fish.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Rumour has it that some end up at Billingsgate fish market.
Given the industrial history of the midlands canals, I dread to think what sort of chemicals/heavy metals are present in those fish.
Yes, I've also heard that a couple of times. With their regular electro-fishing culls, the zeds don't get a chance to grow so almost all of them are very small as well. Like you say, with the amount of junk in the canals I certainly wouldn't eat anything I caught from them.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
went 4-5 times on the water and caught fish of course
first seventy of the year ...

Smile Vertebrate Fisherman Fish Recreational fishing

when targeting zander , one is never sure to select this species only , the proof ...

Water Outerwear Hunting Smile Sky

it's pleasure on a light set up 😁

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
thank you Point ;)
i don't hunt those cats ( some of my friends do , with boat of course ) but manage to catch some each year when after zander/pike
why are they so "isolated" in your waters ?
these fish reproduce very well and proliferate quickly: we started taking them two decades ago ( at this time , you could see lots of boats on the river , also in the week ! ) . Now , some 2meter+ are caught each season

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Hi Sergei,

stocking wels is very restricted in the UK. They are only allowed in enclosed waters (lakes) that are not in any floodplain, and even then it is hard to get a license to stock them. There is a worry that they will overrun our rivers and eat everything but I very much doubt they could.. we just don't have the weather to allow for the amount of successful spawning needed to do that. They are in a few of our rivers now but it literally is a handful... either escapees from some waters or by anglers illegally dropping a few tiddlers into the river. As with any predator, they strike a balance with the food source so worries that they would wipe out all other fish are unfounded really.

Even though zander have been in our waterways for over 50 years they are still classed as an invasive species over here, which is why they are culled. It is actually illegal to return any zander that are caught but anglers pretty much ignore that.

You seem to have some great fishing there.. lots of predatory species and good sizes going on the pictures you post.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I don't think scientists are smarter than nature itself : wanting to regulate biomass at all costs is a nonsense (mainly in rivers) !
you have to let nature do its job (as it has for centuries)
Over here , zander appeared in the early 1980s, catfish and asp around 2000. and for 7-8 years now , the bottom of the river (and everywhere there is water that is not even in contact with the river) is teeming with gobies : it has become the food source for a lot of predators.

Difficult to say how these species arrived in our waters ...
but one thing is certain: it makes fishermen happy ! sure i am 😁

41 - 52 of 52 Posts