World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need some advice please i would like to find a zippy rod . for match fishing but be able to detect bites the rods im using at the moment
are penn affinitys extreme nice rods but not the most sensitive
i realy wany some thing that will punch 5 and 6oz leads out at distance but will still remain sensitive and still be a fishing rod so ithought of you guys on the south coast might be able to help i woudnnt mind buying second hand . cheers boys

·
Registered
80 Posts
need some advice please i would like to find a zippy rod . for match fishing but be able to detect bites the rods im using at the moment
are penn affinitys extreme nice rods but not the most sensitive
i realy wany some thing that will punch 5 and 6oz leads out at distance but will still remain sensitive and still be a fishing rod so ithought of you guys on the south coast might be able to help i woudnnt mind buying second hand . cheers boys
i'm no expert on this, but i have a 3500s which is a lovely rod and casts a long way with great bite detection. i think it's called the f5000 now.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thnks roly that gives me some where to start looking its amine field out there wen it comes to rods

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
If u get a chance 2 look on ebay i find u cant beat the zippy 2500 old or new style 4 match fishing, shows up even the smallest of fish and can blast a lead out when u want it 2. the new rods are so expensive but the old rods do the job just as well. hope that helps.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Both the HSM and Primo match are excellent rods. I have HSM and bite detection is superb even at range. Both rods will cast six ounces with ease, in big tides I regularly use 7oz with no problem. The HSM is a HST but with a glass tip. Very powerful mid section and butt and I find it needs to be hit pretty hard to get the best out the rod. My mate has a Primo and this is a more forgiving rod with a through action and IMO an "easier" rod to cast.

Also, to throw a couple of other rods into the mix if your not a fan of glass tips. The Profile is superb although 6oz at long range maybe slighty over doing it 5's are fine, alternativley its beefier big brother the M4.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks boys i appreciate the help iknow the zippys are brilliant rods .
but exspensive if ican i hope to find one second hand

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
There are many cheaper alternitives....no dout Zzzippies are fine rods...but there are some fine rods out there ,so dont be a chav ( no offence intended) and try a few others....Cono-flex/ Century / Greys / Diawa to name a few

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi mr beachams used to like the old flick tip just got rid of my old compresor match not to sensitive so would appreciate any adviceyou can offer on what im looking for me a chav my sons falling about on the floor here lol

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
hi mr beachams used to like the old flick tip just got rid of my old compresor match not to sensitive so would appreciate any adviceyou can offer on what im looking for me a chav my sons falling about on the floor here lol
I used to have a few flick tips ....gr8 rods for their time.....check out the Cono-flex Source....absolute cracking rod with 5-6oz if you want to stay with cono-flex that is.....its a fishing rod through and through...gr8 tip, will show tiny pout/ dabs at 150+ yet hold up well with strong tides

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Zzippy Profile would do the job but as previously mentioned 150g is about the max if you are giving it some welly. I cast mine with 170g with an OHT and it is fine though.

If you can get away with 4 or 5oz and like a light rod go for the new Zzippy bass....sends baits out of sight!!!!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yeh i have to agree with Mr B you don't have to be restricted to Zippys. Although i have 2 myself and another 1 on order at the moment i also have a Cono-Flex Anubis which is a seriously heavy duty rod but very well made, I have had a look at some of the lighter rods in their range and all look like fantastic fishing rods!!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Don't forget, though, if you are looking at fishing in tide (normally get more tide fishing at range) then a rod with a fine sensitive tip is nigh on useless for detecting bites. You will need a rod with a less flexible tip for better results.

·
Registered
640 Posts
if you can lay your hands on one, zziplex t zero's are great rods, i'm yet to own one, but i have had the pleasure of borrowing a freinds on several occasions, and he was lucky to get it back. they have a stiff butt, forgiving middle and a sensitive tip and will cast a bait a long way and will show tiny bites. Or alternatively the more modern equivalent the 4500 HPM.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
The century ttsm is one of the best,casts miles,excellent bite detection and will handle 6oz.The zzippy m4 is also a cracking rod,will handle 6oz and will send a bait miles,its also as light as a feather and has great bite detection.Its up to you mate theres hundreds of rods to choose from,in my oppinion zziplex make the best FISHING rods in the world bar none.:thumbs:

·
Registered
137 Posts
ZZipplex primo match. I bought one to replace a Diawa PM and it was the best thing i've ever done. I was that happy with it, I had to get another made up.

I can out cast most on the beach with it and bite detection is second to none. I am looking at getting an M4 to complement my collection though.

Hope I'm not turning in to a tackle pimp.

·
WSF Hardcore Haircut
721 Posts
Meta-lite do a new flick tip which is a lot more forgiving than the original

I used to fish with an original 2500 until it got nicked and it was the best all round rod for match work I ever fished with but I didn't like going over 6oz with it and it definitely softened over time, which you will find with most 25's due to their age I would think, these days I would go for a 50/50 dreamcast, it has absolutely superb bite detection and will handle 7oz easily for any style of casting

I was chatting to Terry Carroll of zziplex a while back about match rods and because of my love of the old 2500 he suggested a 3500 to replace it, which is similar but a little more powerful, don't get the "S" version as these are quite a bit uprated, but I have yet to use one

the f5000 is a different rod to the 3500s

Hope that helps a bit

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
"....casts miles....."

Only if the user is a competent caster. If a useless caster is using it, or any other beachcasting fod for that matter, they may as well be using a bamboo cane.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
"....casts miles....."

Only if the user is a competent caster. If a useless caster is using it, or any other beachcasting fod for that matter, they may as well be using a bamboo cane.
Funny you say the DSD....so many people spend all their ill gotten gains on these 'designer/ must have' rods just to sell them 3 months later because they cant use them properly......find something you can compress easily that dosnt collapse during the cast and one should be happy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts