World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
WSF Hardcore Angler
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I would really appreciate some help with this please

I'm after a new pair of rods and have been looking at Zziplex M4GT and the AFAW Tournament Match Pro and now the Century TTSM Graphex

I'm based in Sussex and fish predominantly clean to mixed ground beaches but also venture all I've from Kent to Dorset where I fish rougher stuff and I'm after an all rounder that will become my main pair of rods for the majority of my fishing

I've owned a variety of rods over the years including Century TTSM, Zziplex HSM, Conoflex Source and Daiwa AWB's all of which have been really nice fishing rods, which is what I'm after again, a nice easy to use fishing rod that won't be overkill on my local beach scratching around but also handle the big stuff when it's needed ... I'm using Daiwa Z Surf 12'6 rods at the moment with reel up which are spot on but I'm looking to switch back to reel down again hence one of the reasons for looking for a new pair

One of the reasons i'm switching back to reel down is to try and improve my distance, I feel I've hit my max with the reel up in the more suited shorter rod but need to get to grips with a full pendulum reel down to get those extra yards so it's important my new rods don't punish me to much if I hit a mis-timed cast, I tend to cast quick and need to try and slow it down a bit to so thinking what the difference between the glass tip of the M4 to the carbon tip of the TMP may have with that? what about the TTSMG, that looks ideal?

I want them to be enjoyable to use without having to get everything exact to get the best out of it at first, obviously the more I use them the more comfortable they'll become but you know what I mean? ... so a nice easy to use all rounder, what do you think?

Thank you, Tommy

·
Registered
933 Posts
Both great rods, both will handle 200g and bait, you won’t have the tip snap on the M4 GT.

Reactions: WR300 and SALTYD40

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Found both good, although now using ttsm graphex which I’ve found the best of the three - although this is mostly with fixed spool and braid (occasionally still multipliers with mono).

The tip has more flex than the tmp which off sets the harshness of the braid.

When I had them, I gave my pair of tournament match pro some real abuse and they coped fine, although I’ve heard reports of a few snapping more recently. I never really got on with the m4gt as there seemed to be quite a sudden transition between a really stiff mid section straight into a really flexible tip. The ttsm seems more ‘evened out’ but it could just be me!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Match pro will be fine on the Sussex beaches..not the tournament match pro tho I think they had a tip snapping issue or at least some did

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Either will be fine mate....its down to personal preference to be honest. The AFAW red rods have a lovely tip....you may find the TM pro a bit ott though for general fishing and casting, as above comments.
The m4gt has plenty of power, but a lovely fishing tip....not perfect for really rough stuff, but plenty of power for everything else.
I wouldn't put too much on the tips snapping on afaw either....a lot of them have been put through their paces by big hitters, and Julian usually looks after any such issues...
Good luck mate....you will love either imho...
Mart.

·
WSF Hardcore Angler
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input gents, I'm being patient here as on many occasions over the years I've bought a rod I thought would be prefect and been disappointed ... I have picked up a AFAW Tournament Match Pro off a friend to borrow so I can a have a feel for it and help make my mind up, just holding it and giving it a wobble it does feel stiff and surprising how much difference that extra length makes on the feel of the rod to but I'm sure a cast with it will help ...

I've also been looking at the Century TTSM Graphex recently and it's thrown a spanner in the works and looks like a good contender for what I'm after, I've read a few previous posts and comments from @chichesterpete are really informative ... decisions decisions!

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Thanks for the input gents, I'm being patient here as on many occasions over the years I've bought a rod I thought would be prefect and been disappointed ... I have picked up a AFAW Tournament Match Pro off a friend to borrow so I can a have a feel for it and help make my mind up, just holding it and giving it a wobble it does feel stiff and surprising how much difference that extra length makes on the feel of the rod to but I'm sure a cast with it will help ...

I've also been looking at the Century TTSM Graphex recently and it's thrown a spanner in the works and looks like a good contender for what I'm after, I've read a few previous posts and comments from @chichesterpete are really informative ... decisions decisions!
Most rods these days are to stiff for mr average to bend , to get the best out of any rod you have to be able to bend it . A rod which you can bend is far more enjoyable to fish with ,and cast with There,s a myth about you will grow into a stiff rod well you wont unless you go on a weigh lifting and fitness regime and then put in loads of practice. We all like to think where Popeye . A 13ft rod is far better to handle than a 16 ft rod , why well not only is the 13ft rod lighter but its easier to bring round and if its a hy- flex variant it would suit most people.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've spoke to Julian at AFAW there are MK2 tony Match pro's on the way to market, having sold mine last year ( regret almost straight away) I've all ready ordered two. I fish the Bristol channel from the bridge all the way to the west of wales.
They never let me down cast miles, show tiddler bite so you can sit on a live bait, and I've landed really good fish in all conditions.

I have Match pro's as well for that slightly calmer conditions, I'm definitely a fan :)

Hope this helps

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had a few casts with my m8s tmp and its defo stiffer in tip and mid section compared to my bullets ,my bullet gts are quite for giving compared to the tmp ( imo) my m8 has 3 bullet gts to new ish and one second hand the second hand one has realy soften up quiet a bit he can over head thump it and it flys the glass tip has also gone very soft just something to think about when choosing a rod 😀

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm using Daiwa Z Surf 12'6 rods at the moment with reel up
I have one of these and really like it, used it yesterday on Brighton beach. Bought it to fish reel up but despite it only being 12ft 6 it is way, way better reel down ( high swing pendulum) I find that when casting reel up, as i start to apply the power it feels a bit numb and kicks back through the top hand. Reel down i can feel it compress properly and allows you a fraction more time to realy hit it. I reckon just by doing this I increased my casting distance by at least 15 % for this rod. I think the butt and mid section are too stiff for reel up regardless of what marketing blub Daiwa came out with at the time. I now mount the reel as close to the bottom of the rod as is possible and have fashioned an extension for reeling in so overall the rod is about 13 ft 2. I realy would recommend giving this a go before splashing out as if this doesnt help I am not convinced a different rod will improve matters greatly and the Daiwa Z surf is a great fishing rod.
Having said that i do fancy a TTSM graphex but have not tried one.

·
WSF Hardcore Angler
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have one of these and really like it, used it yesterday on Brighton beach. Bought it to fish reel up but despite it only being 12ft 6 it is way, way better reel down ( high swing pendulum) I find that when casting reel up, as i start to apply the power it feels a bit numb and kicks back through the top hand. Reel down i can feel it compress properly and allows you a fraction more time to realy hit it. I reckon just by doing this I increased my casting distance by at least 15 % for this rod. I think the butt and mid section are too stiff for reel up regardless of what marketing blub Daiwa came out with at the time. I now mount the reel as close to the bottom of the rod as is possible and have fashioned an extension for reeling in so overall the rod is about 13 ft 2. I realy would recommend giving this a go before splashing out as if this doesnt help I am not convinced a different rod will improve matters greatly and the Daiwa Z surf is a great fishing rod.
Having said that i do fancy a TTSM graphex but have not tried one.

hi mate,

thanks for your reply, that's mad you're in Brighton to with the Z Surf 12'6 there's not many of us about! ... don't get me wrong I have used reel down and agree it copes fine especially when slowing the cast, there's a few reasons I'm after a new pair of rods and if Daiwa could have supplied a new tip section for my broken one I probably wouldn't be looking but I thought as I'm looking for a rod to replace my broken one I'd get a pair and go 13'6 ... the Z Surf is a great rod I'll not get rid of it, seems Daiwa rods are well underrated to, I've also looked at the newer red Tournament Surf and Air Surf but there's very little info on them ...

seriously swaying towards the TTSM Graphex, Littlehampton Angling are awaiting a delivery so I'm going to head up to check them out first hand

1 - 14 of 14 Posts