World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Its my favourite rod. A quite powerfull rod,with a lovely action,for me anyway..Lots of power in the tip section and more of a through actioned rod than many "distance" type rods. Timing not as critical with this rod as with some soft tipped pendulum type rods that are advertised as powerfull with good bite detection. In my veiw the stiffer tip is actually better at showing bites as it moves rather than bends to a bite.
This rod is ideal as a Grouncaster or for pendulum. Plus if on the rocks this rod doesnt need a big swing like some rods...the harder you hit the rod from a standing start the more of the rod bends ,so ideal for tight areas with not alot of room to swing a lead. Some rods dont like to cast hard from a standing start,rods such as fine tipped pendulum rods,as they can bite back and wobble and cause problems if not wound up properly..but this rod just takes all types of cast whether hard or not in its stride. So you can grow into this rod too,as it doesnt just perform well when fully wound up,like some rods.
Ive used and abused my rods for years and never had a problem.Ive other rods ,but these are the ones that seem to get used the most as i love the action of the blank.
Not idealy a rod for fishing for small fish when using really delicate baits,but i have used mine for this and they are ok for this if carefull,but small fish wont be so much fun on this rod,as they would with a lighter rod.
More suitable for bigger fish and mixed to heavy ground fishing.But ive used mine on the beaches too.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Quite a powerfull rod which used to be quite popular with anglers in the Bristol Channel. Still an Ok rod but feels heavy and thick when compared to more modern rods.
If you are loking for a pokey rod it can make a good second hand buy but the "Z" factor can lead to prices beyond the rods real worth...........

·
Registered
151 Posts
Can anyone give me any info on the OLD zzippy XTR groundcaster?
there is one on ebay i have got the new xtr got it the other week still not had it out to play yet.but i did have a go of a mates old xtr groundcaster and to me its not a rough ground rod at all bit bendy but great to cast with and great for beach fishing in mixed ground.had a go on the beach with a plan lead on and 525supermag on the rod with 18lb line on and blasted the lead out got to say its was my biggest cast never hit a lead like it thats why i got a xtr for as its great for the beach with a big bait to hit out far

1 - 4 of 4 Posts