World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Im pretty sure the rod is a clean ground rod ,it was the next stage after the 1990,s Quattra ,the TZ500 was more suited to rougher ground ,even though the ZF250 may seem a bit floppy to todays rods its still capable of massive distances and will cast 6oz plus bait a long way ,but it does bend ,i suppose you could call it a "fishing rod"

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
The ZF250 is certainly not floppy; I took one to the USA, sold it while there, and still wish I hadn't. The rod had a firm through action that ran down into the butt, which was designed as part of the rod, with a very slight reverse taper. The butt was quite thick by modern standards, but I find the slimmer butt sections uncomfortable, with my fingers digging into my palms.
A great rod.

philtherod

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Agree with you its a great rod Phil, i acquired one last year that you built for someone,maroon whipps,gold edged,lightweight fuji,s with single legged rings(4) towards the tip. Use it a lot now more than my others,if i remember i will find the name of the guy you made it for(on rod-butt section)....

Paul Green was the name on the rod!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers for the info i have just got one its in vgc looks new for its age as a think the rod is a bit old and paid £100 for it

·
Registered
189 Posts
Great all rounder,story was had all my rods nicked 12 years ago,mixture of Zziplex Dream Machines for beach and Century 216 in the rocks.So needed one rod in hurry to get me fishing again.

Much looking about at all the options at the time,turned into the ZF250, was a rod looking back, I now regret selling on four years later after that and still got great price for even well used.Fished Our local area,rocks,mixed and clean ground with it.For clean ground would still give any rod today a run for the money,6500's and 0.35mm line.

The trick to fish with it in snaggy ground, was not to fish too strong a main line, ie 30lbs plus and try and winch fish out. I went for Slosh 20 reels with 20 to 25lb line max, 0.45mm, strong leaders, 70lb, with bimini leader knots, and Always a weak rotton bottom link, clipped up attachment for casting and snapping off if snagged,as in not to overstress the blank.Fished like this it proved its worth and had in its time two doubles out, on renouned hard ground marks, Haven rocks and Marden rocks.As Phil says great "fishing"rod, and as good as anything around now!!!

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Paul Green was the name on the rod!!
I was talking to him at the BASS AGM, if he'd told me he was selling it you wouldn't have got a look-in:sad2: :sad: :cry:

philtherod

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well just pick the rod up today the bloke has put new eyes on black varnish and it looks great the feel of it is good...so its not going to be next week till i get a good bash of it the only thing is the sticker on it has been took off..wonder if zziplex still do them

·
Registered
246 Posts
I must concur, the ZF250 was/is a superb rod, believe it or not i swapped my newish Daiwa Slosh for this rod and i still regard it as the best ever deal. Not an excessively long rod ie approx 12'6 its great (for me) over any terrain i tend to fish. Anyone who has watched the video produced in conjunction with Sea Angler and Neil McKellow would have witnessed that this rod was made from scratch at the Zziplex factory (Tony Carrol?) for the long distance casting video (with that laughing course fishing idiot).
Just my opinion but this rod is a classic. Long live Powertex.
Hope this has been of some interest.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
It is a 27mm butt, you will need a Fuji FPS28...unfortunately, the DPS series only go to size 26, so instead of about £6, you are stuck with a bill of around £15-16. Worth it though. Put a black Karakal grip 20cm long above the winch, the rest below, and you.ve got one of the finest rods of the 20th century. As i said before, regret ever getting rid of my one, the American definitely won't be selling it back to me!!!

philtherod

·
Registered
920 Posts
hi all,
just picked up a zf250 off flea bay, mint condition for 90 quid! blue n silver whippings, bnhg rings, coasters and gave it a new wrap of blue shrink tube and voila! perfection! tried for ages n ages to get one of these after i tried a mates out- worth waiting for!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts